Australia casino giant Crown mulling US$7.1b takeover by Wynn

The logo of Australian casino giant Crown Resorts Ltd adorns the hotel and casino complex in Melbourne June 13, 2017. — Reuters pic
The logo of Australian casino giant Crown Resorts Ltd adorns the and casino complex in Melbourne June 13, 2017. — Reuters pic

SYDNEY, April 9 — Australian gambling giant Crown Resorts today confirmed a takeover offer from US gaming group Wynn Resorts, estimated to be worth more than US$7 billion (RM28.67 billion), sending the firm’s shares surging by a quarter.

The Sydney-listed company — which owns casinos in Melbourne and Perth, and is building another in Sydney — said the talks were “at a preliminary stage.”

Wynn’s proposal is a cash and share buyout at A$14.75 (RM42.95) per share, for a total value of A$10 billion. Shares in Crown soared 24.85 per cent to A$14.37 today.

“Crown confirms that it is in confidential discussions with Wynn regarding a potential change of control transaction following approaches to Crown by Wynn,” the firm said in a statement.



“No agreement has been reached between the parties in relation to the structure, value or terms of a transaction. There is no certainty that these discussions will result in a transaction.”

Crown has undergone significant restructuring in recent years and divested from many of its overseas interests.

A crackdown by Beijing has driven away many big-spenders and hurt revenues. Around the same time, several of its employees were detained in before being released in 2017.

Last year Australian tycoon and former Crown head James Packer, son of the late publishing and gaming mogul Kerry Packer, abruptly departed the family firm citing “mental health issues”, though he remains a significant shareholder.

Wynn Resorts, which employs 23,000 people around the world, operates casinos in Las Vegas and Macau.

Founder Steve Wynn sold his entire stake in the Las Vegas-based firm after he stepped down earlier this year as chairman and chief executive in the wake of allegations of decades of sexual misconduct. — AFP

Source: The Malay Mail Online







Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked as *

Time limit is exhausted. Please reload CAPTCHA.