BERLIN, Dec 22 — Models testing fashion brands like Adidas, Benetton and Gap are finding that almost a third of the shoes and clothes they try on are bigger or smaller than the size on the label indicates, explaining why many clothes bought online…
WALLDORF, Oct 18 — SAP, Europe’s most valuable tech company, will continue to do business in Saudi Arabia, a top executive told Reuters, saying he hoped the circumstances of the disappearance of journalist Jamal Khashoggi are clarified. “We…
TOKYO: Japan's SoftBank is planning to invest between US$60-100 billion in a solar power project in India, a Japanese report said Friday, as the firm looks to expand its interests into various sectors.
The report by public broadcaster NHK comes after SoftBank announced in March it would partner Saudi Arabia on a multi-billion dollar solar project that the company's founder called the largest in the world.
NHK said the massive investment in India would be funded jointly by SoftBank and Saudi Arabia, which have already partnered to create the Vision Fund investment vehicle.
A spokesman for SoftBank declined to comment on the report.
NHK said the deal would likely be announced by SoftBank and the Indian government after details were finalised, without giving a timeline.
Under CEO Masayoshi Son, SoftBank, which started as a software firm, has increasingly been seen as an investment firm, ploughing funds into a broad range of companies and projects outside its core business. In recent years it has completed deals with the likes of French robotics firm Aldebaran and e-commerce Chinese giant Alibaba.
In March, Son said it would fund the “largest solar project ever”, in Saudi Arabia.
The project aims to generate 200 gigawatts of energy by 2030, with building beginning in 2018 and operations to start the following year.
The entire project is expected to cost $200 billion, with the first phase costing US$5 billion.
SoftBank's US$100-billion Vision Fund, created in 2016 with money from Saudi and other investors, will contribute US$1 billion to the first phase. — AFP
SAN FRANCISCO, March 17 — When Diane Greene first joined Google in late 2015, her first task was to assemble the company’s disparate and often-wayward cloud projects and whip them into a real business. Sales, marketing and engineering…
FRANKFURT, Dec 11 — A previously undetected group of Russian-language hackers silently stole nearly US$10 million (RM40.7 million) from at least 18 mostly US and Russian banks in recent years by targeting interbank transfer systems, a…
NEW YORK: YouTube was rocked earlier this year when it suffered a mass boycott by brands concerned about their ads appearing next to inappropriate content, but the latest data suggests advertisers are using the video platform as never before.
MediaRadar, the US ad sales software firm, reported in April that it had tracked a 5% drop in the number of advertisers using the top 24 Google Preferred channels between March and April.
However, new findings provided to Marketing Dive and Adweek have revealed that the number of advertisers using these channels soared 50% just a month later in May.
What's more, some 508 brands were advertising within Google Preferred in June, a reported 134% increase from January, before the brand safety scandal emerged.
MediaRadar also said that trust in YouTube is growing, with more advertisers using Google Preferred channels in May and June than in any other month in 2017.
The average number of channels where ads are run has increased 9% per month, while the number of days advertisers run campaigns is up 10% per month.
“There was a real contraction and reaction [among] brand-name advertisers, but our feeling was that YouTube responded very foreseeably to remedy the situation,” said Todd Krizelman, CEO of MediaRadar, in comments to Adweek.
“Even in the NewFronts, where I thought YouTube said the right things, they even had some of those same advertisers who said that they were going to pull out and did briefly … back on the stage again.”
Most observers would accept that YouTube has been working hard to rebuild its damaged reputation with the announcement of a series of initiatives over the last few months to combat online extremism.
Just last week, the company announced that it had doubled the number of videos it had removed for containing extremist content, and has doubled the rate at which it removes them.
It has also developed software, known as the Redirect Method, which steers would-be jihadists to anti-hate videos aimed at debunking extremist narratives.
PETALING JAYA: Software firm Excel Force MSC Bhd has entered into a memorandum of understanding (MOU) with UK-incorporated Aquis Exchange Ltd for software and operations support.
Aquis operates a pan-European cash equities trading exchange and develops and licences exchange software to third parties. It is authorised and regulated by the UK Financial Conduct Authority to operate a multilateral trading facility.
Excel Force said both parties are engaged in discussions concerning intention to enter into a software delivery, support and operations agreement in the area of designing and building infrastructure and software as well as customised training to support operationalisation.
“The MOU is not intended to create legal relations between the parties and will not constitute a contractually binding arrangement between the parties,” it noted.
At 2.40pm, Excel Force shares rose 2 sen to RM1.16 on some 417,700 shares done, giving it a market capitalisation of RM479.93 million.
SAN FRANCISCO (April 5): TASER International, the maker of electrical weapons for police officers, is changing its name to Axon as it pushes further into the software business.
The Axon name comes from the business unit that sells police body cameras, patrol car cameras and the software for managing the hours of digital footage they generate.